Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Artist Talk - Alumni

On Saturday, I attended the Alumni Portfolio Day. Some of the things that people said that stuck with me were:

Alicia Taylor:

  • start looking for jobs now
  • networking is very important
Kate Anderson:
  • agencies are a lot of work
  • "stalk" companies
  • never take a raise without knowing what the raise is for - are you being given more responsiblities?
  • learn how to use InDesign and Photoshop
Erin Good
  • get organized
  • keep a list of studios you are interested in
  • become an AIGA member
  • be overly prepared for interviews
  • send thank you's 
  • ask a lot of questions
Michelle Winey
  • freelance could be an option
Chris Willet
  • make sure to have a website along with your paper portfolio
  • cast a wide net - apply to a lot of places
  • have to ask yourself "what are you willing to give up?"
Aaron Chu
  • know what is going on around you in the world
  • smile a lot
  • don't put anything work related on Facebook
  • Google is your best friend
I definitely enjoyed this talk.  Some aspects scared me.  I was thinking to myself that I would never be as good as these people, which means I will never find a job.  But then some of them said they were thinking the same thing and now they have jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment